As you all know very well, Print management is the core part of the built-in Routing functionality for business documents in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations. In Print management setup for each Document type, you can select different target print destinations (e.g. Email, Printer, File) and report formats to be used under certain conditions (e.g. the related customer belongs to a particular Customer group) when printing the corresponding documents.
Print management setup can be further set up per customer or vendor, so you can end up with hundreds and thousands different settings that are not so easy to change in bulk. You might ask, why is that? This is because Print management settings are stored in 3 linked database tables, with print destination settings packed as containers (binary fields).
Docentric Print Management Data Entity
Since Print management setup does not support anything else but changing the settings one-by-one manually in rather inconvenient form as in the image above, we started thinking about possible solutions to support updating these settings in bulk.
Having a convenient UI to enable updating the Print management settings in bulk would be great (it is on our roadmap), but for the beginning we took the approach via Data entities. We implemented the following data entities:
- Docentric Print Management Settings Package: to be used for migrating the settings between different D365FO instances.
- Docentric Print Management Settings: to be used for Copy to Legal Entity scenarios and for some advanced scenarios with bulk modifications.
- Docentric Print Management Footer Text: to migrate or update in bulk the Footer text in Print management setup.
In the following video, you will learn:
- Preconditions to work with the Docentric Print Management Settings data entities.
- Setting up the environment.
- Introduction to the scenarios we will cover in this video-tutorial series.
NEXT (Part 2 of 8): Learn how to copy Print management settings between legal entities >>