Some tips for inserting a watermark text into the template

Adding a watermark to a Docentric template is slightly different than adding a watermark to a normal Word document. Here you can find out how to do it and what the limitations are.

If you want to insert a watermark into the Docentric template, use the Text Box for it in Word. You can insert it on a page where you want it to appear. If you need the watermark on every page, insert it in a header.

Then set the font size; usually 100-130 pt gives good results. Then you need to set the text wrapping and positioning. See the Layout Options pop-up menu in the center of the screenshot below.

You will also need to open the Format Shape dialog box and set Text Options as shown below.

These settings lead to the result that you can see in the Live Preview pane in the screenshot above. As you can see, the watermark looks quite good.

LIMITATIONS

• To get the expected text color in PDF, you need to select the lightest shade of gray for the watermark text in the template. This will make the watermark text barely visible in the template, but it will look good in the Live Preview and in the PDF output. Note that the Transparency setting will be ignored.
  • If you use tables and color the cells with a background color, these colors will always appear in front of the watermark text, effectively hiding it. If you look closely, you can see this effect in the header of the table in the screenshot above. This seems to be a limitation of Word, because it also appears when you create a Word output. The workaround is to not use a background color in table cells.

SAMPLE FILE WITH WATERMARK
You can download this sample file, which contains a simple invoice and has a watermark in the template.
Watermark.docx (78.1 KB)

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask if it would be possible to display the watermark only if a certain condition is met? I’ve already tried this, but without success…

Hi John,

Since the watermark is using a Text Box in Word, you can select the Text Box and add a condition under which you want to display it. The two images below show how to do that.

1. Select the Text Box and click the IF tagging element in Docentric AX ribbon:

2. Add the conditional expression; in the screenshot below, the watermark is displayed if the IsProforma field is false in the Parameters data source:

I hope this helps.