First and most common way of configuring the Print Management in D365FO is on the module level. All the Print Management reports related to a particular module are found on one common form for that module. Sadly, the navigation to these forms is not the same across the modules and the users often have difficulties finding the module-level D365FO Print Management settings.
To resolve this confusion, we have compiled a list of Print Management modules and the navigation to their settings forms.
List of Print Management modules
Following table contains the list of modules for which the module-level D365FO Print Management settings are available. For each of the modules you can see the path to the form with the module’s Print Management settings and also a list of document types related to that module and for which the settings can be specified:
|Path to Print Management settings form
|Accounts payable > Setup > Forms > Form setup > General tab > Print management button
|Accounts receivable > Setup > Forms > Form setup > General tab > Print management button
Note: form shows documents for Accounts receivable and Inventory management module
|Inventory management > Setup > Inventory and warehouse management parameters > Print management tab > Print management button
|Procurement and sourcing
|Procurement and sourcing > Setup > Forms > Form setup > General tab > Print management button
Note: this is the same form as for the Accounts payable
|Project management and accounting
|Project management and accounting > Setup > Forms > Form setup > General tab > Print management button
|Transportation management > Setup > Transportation management parameters > Print management tab > Print management button
|Warehouse management > Setup > Warehouse management parameters > Print management > Print management button
When to use the module-level D365FO Print Management settings
Module-level D365FO Print Management settings allow us to specify the coarse-grained and medium-grained settings.
- Coarse-grained settings: you apply them to all the documents of certain type, for example all Sales Invoice reports. You would go through the module-level settings for the Accounts Receivable module and you would use the Default setting to specify the print destination for the majority of your Sales Invoice reports:
- Medium-grained settings: if needed, you apply them to a group of documents of certain type, which meet a common condition, for example all Sales Invoice reports for a Customer group 20. You would again go through the module-level settings for the Accounts Receivable module:
And if that is not enough, we can use the node-level D365FO Print Management settings for specifying the fine-grained settings.
When to use the node-level D365FO Print Management settings
Let's say that there is a customer for which you need a special treatment, for example printing on a special printer with customized paper and by using a special template? We could apply such fine-grained settings through the node-level Print Management setting for that particular customer. Node-level settings are applied to the Print Management nodes. You can check a list of available Print Management nodes by looking at the PrintMgmtNodeType enum. Some of them are: CustTable, VendTable, PurchTable, SalesQuotationTable etc.
- Fine-grained setting: you apply them to the selected document types on the node-level, for example on the CustTable node. You would invoke this kind of Print Management setting directly from that customer form, where you can for example override the default setting:
Are you often dealing with D365FO Print Management settings?
You configure D365FO Print Management settings in your test or UAT environment and then you need to copy everything to your production? Or you setup the Print Management for one legal entity and you must transfer the settings to other legal entities? If this is known situation, then you might benefit from Docentric Print Management Data Entity, which you can use completely for free, as it is delivered as part of Docentric AX Free Edition tool.
Furthermore, in version 3.4.7 we delivered Print management utilities covering:
- Tabular view: Filter, sort and search all Print management settings including overrides for a legal entity in a grid.
- Diagnostics: Find customers and vendors with invalid or no email contacts (primary/purposes).
- Bulk update and bulk delete of selected Print management settings, including overrides.
- Review or revert changes before saving to the database.