Data Source Provider Classes
With Report Data Preparation framework you can prepare data for a report super-fast. You don’t have to use temporary tables, views or queries – you can simple traverse through the needed data in X++ and shape/nest/calculate them as needed using Docentric AX APIs.
When a new SSRS report design is registered in Docentric report setup, the Docentric Default DSP class is set to be used with this report by default. This class is a part of Docentric AX Framework, and enables reusing of existing SSRS report data sets that are filled by built-in RDP classes or queries.
However, you have a possibility to extend the Default DSP class and create so called a custom DSP class, which you will then assign to a particular report in Docentric report setup.
Create and use custom DSP classes when you need to:
- Add additional data to existing SSRS reports, without changing built-in report artifacts such as RDP (Report Data Provider) classes, tables or queries. You will be able to accomplish this much easier than using extensions.
- Create a new custom SSRS report, without using RDP classes or tables. You can add data from arbitrary AX tables and views, or any other internal or external data source, using plain X++. Report data sources can be shaped into meaningful groups and hierarchies, unlike SSRS’s “rectangular” data.
- Manage custom placeholders used in Docentric print destinations.
- Dynamically change print destination settings, e.g. to select different template, or to add additional email attachments.
- Define Docentric archive contract, in order to use all features which Docentric adds to built-in Print archive.
Learn in this section: