Data Source Provider (DSP) Classes
With Report Data Preparation framework, which is based on so-called DSP (Data Source Provider) classes, you can prepare data for a report super-fast. You don’t have to use temporary tables, views or queries – instead, you can simply traverse through the needed data in X++ and add them to the report data source, shaped/nested/calculated as needed, by using Docentric AX APIs.
When a new SSRS report design is registered in Docentric report setup, the Docentric Default DSP class is set to be used with this report by default. This class is a part of Docentric AX Framework, and enables reusing of existing SSRS report data sets that are filled by built-in RDP classes or queries.
However, you have a possibility to inherit the Default DSP class and create so-called a custom DSP class, which you will then be able to assign to a particular report in Docentric report setup.
Create and use custom DSP classes when you need to:
- Add additional data to existing SSRS reports, without changing built-in report artifacts such as RDP (Report Data Provider) classes, tables or queries. You will be able to accomplish this much easier than using extensions.
- Create a new custom SSRS report, without using RDP classes or tables. You can add data from arbitrary AX tables and views, or any other internal or external data source, using plain X++. Report data sources can be shaped into meaningful groups and hierarchies, unlike SSRS’s "rectangular" data.
- Manage custom placeholders used in Docentric print destinations.
- Dynamically change print destination settings, e.g. to select different template, or to add additional email attachments.
- Define Docentric archive contract, in order to use all features which Docentric adds to built-in Print archive, Additional email attachments, Saving reports to Attachments and Report log.
Learn in this section: