Batch email sending status is a D365FO table acting as an outgoing emails queue. It supports monitoring and resending of outgoing emails which are created for Workflow, Alert and Retail notifications. After Microsoft redesigned the implementation of alerts, alert emails stopped to be sent out D365FO using Batch email sending status. Luckily, from version 3.4.1 Docentric re-enabled this functionality, so you are able to choose whether to use it or not.
To make Batch email sending status even more useful, we've kept investing in further improvements:
- Better view of a single outgoing email message.
- Download an outgoing email message as EML file, which you can open with an email client, e.g. MS Outlook.
- Update all fields of a single outgoing email message, including Body and Attachments.
- Updating particular fields of multiple outgoing emails at once.
- Additional fields containing email message fields (Cc, Bcc, Reply-to, etc.) and metadata (Context information, Account number, Document ID, etc.) are added.
- Batch email sending status can be used for alert emails and emailing reports. OOTB only workflow emails are supported.
- Multiple Email distributor batch jobs can be run for selected records.
- Email distributor cleanup job is introduced, which enables deletion of selected records.
In this article, we will focus on the improvements made on the Batch email sending status form, while in the next one we'll talk about the Email distributor batch and cleanup operations that are performed on the Batch email sending status records and how we enhanced them.
View and update single email message
To view the email message of an outgoing email, select a record and click the Message > Show message button.
The build-in Show message form is extended to show the new email fields added by Docentric, such as Subject, Email recipients, CC, BCC, Attachments, Body, etc.
To update the email message fields, select a record and click the Message > Update message button.
The Update message form shows email message fields which can be updated, including the attachments and the email body.
The Download message button downloads the selected email message in EML format that can be opened with an email client such as MS Outlook, Windows Mail or Thunderbird.
Update email messages in bulk
Select the email message records that you want to update at once and click the Update messages button. In the Update messages form enter a new value for any fields needed, which is applicable for all selected messages.
New email message and metadata fields
We have added new email message fields to the Batch email sending status table to cover more complex emailing requirements.
The following email message fields are added: Cc, Bcc, Reply-to address, Bounce-to address, Sender display name, Read recipient address, Mail message priority, Send delivery receipt, Attachments and Body. Advanced HTML editor is used for formatting the email bodies directly from within D365FO.
Also, we have added metadata fields to enable better monitoring and tracking of outgoing emails such as:
- Context information: When emailing reports, it contains Report ID. For alerts and workflows, it will show the alert/workflow table name. This field can also be customized.
- Company ID: The company in which the outgoing email was created. This information is useful since Batch email sending status shows the emails from all companies.
- User ID: ID of the user who ran the report or received alert/workflow notification.
- Document ID: ID of the document attached to the outgoing email, e.g. Invoice ID if this document is the Sales invoice report.
- Account type: Determines if the outgoing email is for customer or vendor.
- Account number: Customer or Vendor account number.
- Alert rule ID: Rule ID of the alert. Applicable on alerts only.
- Notification ID: ID of the notification that was sent by alert/workflow and stored into Action center. Not applicable when emailing reports.
Additionally, metadata fields will enable you to select particular records to be processed by the Email distributor batch operation, which sends outgoing emails.
Use Batch email sending status when emailing reports
For outgoing emails created during emailing reports process, the new fields in Batch email sending status are populated if you configure report email sending settings in Docentric report setup. Learn more >>
Use Batch email sending status for emails based on Email templates
For outgoing emails based on Organization/System email templates, such as Workflow and Alert emails, the new fields in Batch email sending status are populated automatically when you use Docentric improvements of Email templates. Learn more >>
On the other hand, if you want to use the extended functionality of Batch email sending status for Retail emails, you need to employ Docentric APIs: DocEmailTemplateManager::sendMail()/sendSysMail().
Use Batch email sending status for custom scenarios
You can use Docentric APIs from the Docentric AX Emails model for any of your custom emailing scenarios based on Organization/System email templates. One such scenario is our Docentric Emailing Multiple Invoices solution. Learn more >>
Run Email distributor batch for different outgoing emails
In this article, we explained which improvements are made regarding Batch email sending status when emailing reports or using Email templates. In the next article we will deep dive into improvements of the Email distributor batch and cleanup operations that are performed on the Batch email sending status records. With these enhancements you will be able to send groups of emails from D365FO using multiple Email distributor batch jobs and to clean up or archive already sent emails. Read the article >>